What are the information sciences?
PEOPLE. INFORMATION. TECHNOLOGY.
The information sciences are centered around finding new ways to solve problems. We help people to discover better information, design and use better technology, and to make better decisions. Whether those problems are in business, medicine, education, the arts, or any number of other fields, information professionals are able to grapple with the challenges and opportunities of the digital age.
The iSchools Caucus
The iSchools Caucus is an international consortium of Information Schools dedicated to advancing the information field in the 21st Century. The member schools share a focus on the intersection of people, technology and information. Now including over 50 member schools on five continents, the iSchools offer students an array of degree programs and specializations. The iSchools Caucus also hosts the iConference, which is an annual gathering of a broad spectrum of scholars and researchers from around the world who share a common concern about critical information issues in contemporary society.
Interdisciplinary by Definition
Because information is so central to every academic and professional field, the information sciences are incredibly interdisciplinary and diverse. iSchool faculty members often collaborate with colleagues in other schools and colleges for research and teaching purposes, which translates into iSchool students being able to take advantage of a wide variety of classes and projects that build valuable experience.
i3 Scholars have completed a variety of interdisciplinary research projects with their teams. A sample of past project topics have included:
- Viral videos and the leading factors related to online sharing
- Youth education and recruitment into STEM fields
- Gender representation in video games
- Online community building in social movements like Occupy Wall St.
- Social media and political involvement in campaigns
- Identity representation and catfishing on social media
- Environmental sustainability efforts in the information technology sector
- Psychological incentives to donate to crowdsourced campaigns on Kickstarter and similar online platforms
Innovative Degrees & Careers
Here is a brief list of what the iSchools and the information sciences have to offer future i3 Scholars:
|iSchool Programs & Specializations||Careers in the Information Sciences|
For more information on careers in the information sciences, including salary ranges for some emerging fields, click here.